As fathers we try our best to protect our children. We have failed to protect our children from a silent killer all around us. According to the CDC the rate for childhood obesity have tripled in the past thirty years. The risk for these children are great. They are vulnerable to cardiovascular diseases, diabetes and bone or joint problems. In the long term, they are more likely to be obese as adults which has a long list of health risk that are well documented. We have to reverse the trend.
So how can we help our children stay healthy?
1. Remember that our children look up to everything that we do. If we make a conscious effort to eat healthy everyone else at home will follow suit. If we get out and become more active they will ask to join you.
2. Turn the TV off when the weather is nice. Most children love to play outside but you have to suggest it. Take away the other option of staying in and playing video games or watching cartoons and you'll be surprised how long they enjoy the outdoors.
3. Plan activities for the entire family to participate in. Walking to the park or throwing a football are easy examples.
4. Coach a sports team. If you coach, your child will play. Anyone can do it, especially for the earlier age categories. Here's a guide on how to coach your child's sports team.
5. Be sensitive to your child's feelings about their weight. Don't push them or belittle them.
Don't be surprised if you lose a few pounds yourself....