Here's some things to keep in mind:
1. Don't rush your partner. You should wait for her to become comfortable with having sex again. Although she may be willing to give in to your advances if she is rushed she may resent your actions.
2. Six weeks is just a guideline. This number depends on how well the recovery process goes. Remember that women who have complications or a Cesarean have a much longer recovery period. Mothers who suffer from postpartum depression will also need more time.
3. Nature will not always provide the normal amount of lubrication necessary after birth. Plan accordingly.
4. A little action is better than none at all, don't make her overdo it.
5. Remember although it may seem like your love life will never return to normal, it will this is just a temporary speed bump.
Let mom take the lead on this one. If she needs to slow down, let her. It may feel frustrating but in the long run she'll be happier, which in turn means so will you.